10.25.2006

Diapering Curious George, Using Jumper Cables, & Eating Christmas Candy

FYI: This is long, really random, and rather boring...


School is good...I suppose. Nothing much is new. Just filled out a midterm evaluation...it is hard to believe that we are halfway through the semester already. I am over halfway through Human Resources (my night class) because it ends earlier than the other classes.

I think finals time won't be so stressful this semester because:

1. I don't have a photography final,
2. I don't really have a marketing research final (our presentation counts as the final...and we get to do ours early!),
3. the Human Resources exam is earlier than all of the regularly scheduled finals.

Score! I hate finals time...and I especially hate it Fall semester because my mind is very preoccupied with Christmassy things. December is too busy to be in school!

Human Resources is actually a pretty interesting class. I got a B on my Human Resources midterm exam (the class with only two tests - the midterm & the final). I thought I did a lot worse so that was a relief. He counts attendance & homework as a test grade so I think I will do okay in the class. I never miss class (except I will miss in November for CBS training) and I do all of my homework. I have a 93.7% average in the class right now.

Tuesday night in class he had us do an activity to show adult learning principles. He split the class into boys and girls and then had half of each group teach and half critique the teaching methods. The boys were supposed to teach the class how to change a diaper and the girls were supposed to teach how to jumpstart a car using jumper cables.


There are probably about 20 girls in the class and 15 of them said that they had used jumper cables. Can I just say "Yeah right!" I don't believe that for a second. All 15 girls? Watched, maybe. Done it themselves, not so much. I was one of the five that said I hadn't ever used them (I've watched dad and Brad use them but never done it myself). We had to teach the class how to use the things but luckily we got directions :)

The guys' part was a lot more entertaining though. Brad raised his hand (along with all but three of the men in the class). The back row of boys got lucky and got to be the critquers (I just made up a word...they got to sit and "critique" the other group.). The group nominated Brad to talk so he described how to diaper Curious George using a pillowcase and a pin. Quite entertaining. I enjoyed it. (Hope our babies aren't that large, lol) :) The whole class laughed a lot and the teacher even let us out early (which hardly ever happens!).


Photography is getting better. It turns out that I was using the wrong chemicals entirely and somehow my film came out okay (twice). I befuddled the teacher when I told her that. She couldn't believe that it worked. I just turned in my third assignment - portraits. It's really such a bummer that I lost the pictures from the wedding because I had some really cute ones of my second cousins. I ended up taking a roll of David and Breann and using those pictures for the assignment. The teacher really liked the photo of David kissing her belly. For evaluations everyone in the class picks one of their classmates' photos and says why they like it or don't like it. One of my photos was picked but then my teacher picked up the photo of David kissing her belly and talked about it...she never picks up any other photos so that was exciting :) Our next assignment is motion...should be interesting. I don't know what I am going to photograph yet.

Marketing Research is really good. I love the teacher...you can tell she loves what she does. I wish she taught all of my marketing classes!! We just had a test in there this morning. (It wasn't too good but it's only worth 20 points so it's okay!) We are currently working on our big project of the semester. We are doing research on
facelogic, an affordable facial company (remember the gazillionaire I told you about...he owns it). We are going to do our "exploratory research" this Saturday (i.e. we are all going to get facials). Don't tell my in-laws that is where I am going on Saturday...all they need to know is I am going to do "homework".

Wow-o Advertising and Promotion is a different story. Not so good. I got a not-so-good grade on my second test. Our project stinks. We have to turn in status reports every week and the group is never on the same page. I have the job of editing them and emailing them to the teacher and I never know what to change and what to leave the way it is. The teacher says that a big part of the class is feeling clueless and not knowing what you are doing because that is the way that advertising agents feel all the time. Nice. Not looking forward to the presentation at all.

Work is good. Been ordering lots of stuff to be ready for the "Christmas rush" and also thinking about when to decorate for Christmas...haven't decided yet. I am the Decorating Chairperson (self assigned of course). I have recruited Brad, Perez, and Josh to be on my decorating crew. I just love GFAP all decorated with lights and garland and ribbon. So fun. Can't wait for Christmas goodies to start arriving in the mail! :)

YUM...makes me think of Susan Stoll Christmas candy!!! One of our vendors makes all kinds of yummy Christmas candy, cookies, & bread in her own kitchen.

It is like the best thing ever. Seriously.

Last year I impatiently awaited its arrival. Every day I would come into work and ask them if we got it in the mail. Everyday their reply was "no." Christmas came and still no candy. I can't tell you how sad I was when it never came. I have been eating this candy every Christmas for the last five years! I am a Stoll Christmas candy addict, I tell you. You can't get someone addicted and then just cut them off cold turkey! I didn't know if it just got lost in the mail or if they dropped us off the Christmas list or ?...

We got all kinds of other goodies...toffee (ew, gross!), mints, popcorn, assorted baskets of meat, cheese, and crackers, & someone even brought us cookies & milk...but it just wasn't the same.

Gene noticed my sadness and made a comment to the company (behind my back mind you) that his daughter-in-law was so heartbroken that we never got any candy from them. He made a huge deal about it to the vendors (which it is a big deal, but you don't tell them that, hello!) and I was quite embarrassed when he told me this information.

A week or two later I came into the office and on my desk sat a little white box.

::Begin hallelujah chorus::

The address label said my name (it always just says GFAP) & the return address said Stoll.
I ripped into the box and proceeded to eat (or bag up) most of the contents of the box.

I am not kidding...it is seriously good stuff. All kinds of chocolates and truffles. Ah, it is heaven for sure. I never sent a thank you note but I definitely should have. That stuff is to die for.

The moral of the story?

1. Don't ever anger your fireplace door vendor.
2. Start writing thank you notes.
3. And try not to tell your father-in-law how sad you are about not receiving candy because he will embarrass the heck out of you (but you won't mind so much because you get to eat the coveted candy as a direct result).

Congratulations on making it through that very long blog post...told you it was random, boring, and long :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

is it already time to start thinking about finals?! time flies

9:31 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger marissa said...

haha i'm glad you got your candy!

10:57 AM, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Amanda said...

Hey, save a little for us next time!! Sheesh! :oP

3:46 PM, November 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home