In Memory of Henry
Henry Polasek
1928-2007
Still in shock that Uncle Henry (my great uncle, mom’s uncle) passed away yesterday. Though I hadn’t seen him in a while, he was a huge part of my childhood. Since dad’s dad died before I was born and mom’s dad died when I was still young, Henry was like a grandpa to Amanda, Vicki, and me.
I have so many memories with him. He and Aunt Frances would come over every Saturday after lunch when I was a kid. Henry would hang around with dad at home while the girls went out to shop. In the evening, we would all go out to eat together. Every Saturday without fail...I can still remember sitting in the middle of Frances and Henry in the second seat of the Suburban as we drove to Docs, Friendly Freddie’s, or the restaurant in Academy.
I have many memories of him at Deer Camp in Burnet as well. We would stay the weekend there in camper trailers. Hanging around camp, watching cows, going on nature walks, playing horseshoes, eating chili, sitting around the campfire…good memories there.
I remember at Christmastime they spoiled us rotten. There were huge garbage bags of presents for us girls…all kinds of clothes that Frances and Henry had picked out for us.
They also spoiled us rotten during the year, buying us things when we went shopping, giving us Halloween candy (a huge thing for me since I didn’t get to go trick or treating), buying us books and toys, etc. They were truly the grandparents that we never had, very much involved in our lives.
Henry had a lot of health problems for many years. I remember when we went to visit him in the hospital after he had heart surgery when I was about 8 or 9. I drew him a picture of flowers in a vase (not as good as the real thing, but hey, I was young). I remember feeling so sad that he had to be in the hospital and going through so much pain.
Years went by and for some reason (I still don’t really know the reason) we stopped seeing them. We no longer went on Saturday shopping trips or saw each other at Christmas. They didn’t come to my graduation or my wedding. We received no phone calls or letters.
I sent them Christmas cards each year hoping to hear something back. No cards or letters. It is hard to even think about. Lost time with loved ones, lost memories…And over what? I don’t even know.
I remember the last time I saw him. I went to an eye appointment near their home in 2002 and afterwards decided to go by their house. When I knocked on the door Frances answered. She told me that they were just about to go to town to get groceries but (hesitantly) said that I could come in. When I walked in I noticed that things had changed from when I was there as a child. The furniture looked worn. The carpet no longer looked new. Henry and Frances looked older and tired. Things were different.
I remember it being really uncomfortable as I told them about my life. I told them about how I was in college and hoped to graduate in a few years. About how I was soon to be engaged to a wonderful man. About my job. About how I was active in Bible study and church. About mom, dad, Amanda, and Vicki. Things they truly should have known already...
They both seemed so sad that day. I asked if I could pray for them and they looked at me with startled expressions. I prayed for Henry’s health and for strength for the both of them. I prayed in gratitude for all of the years that they had loved us and been there for us.
Though Frances was hesitant to let me in the house initially, she kept telling me “You don’t have to go, you don’t have to go.” I left their house not knowing that would be the last time I would see Henry.
I am not sure if Henry was a Christian or not. I hope that he was and that I will see him again in heaven one day. I hope that he knew how much we all loved him and what he meant to us, that he was the grandpa we never had. I will try my hardest to never forget my memories of Henry.
BVOTD: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." Matthew 5:4 NIV
1928-2007
Still in shock that Uncle Henry (my great uncle, mom’s uncle) passed away yesterday. Though I hadn’t seen him in a while, he was a huge part of my childhood. Since dad’s dad died before I was born and mom’s dad died when I was still young, Henry was like a grandpa to Amanda, Vicki, and me.
I have so many memories with him. He and Aunt Frances would come over every Saturday after lunch when I was a kid. Henry would hang around with dad at home while the girls went out to shop. In the evening, we would all go out to eat together. Every Saturday without fail...I can still remember sitting in the middle of Frances and Henry in the second seat of the Suburban as we drove to Docs, Friendly Freddie’s, or the restaurant in Academy.
I have many memories of him at Deer Camp in Burnet as well. We would stay the weekend there in camper trailers. Hanging around camp, watching cows, going on nature walks, playing horseshoes, eating chili, sitting around the campfire…good memories there.
I remember at Christmastime they spoiled us rotten. There were huge garbage bags of presents for us girls…all kinds of clothes that Frances and Henry had picked out for us.
They also spoiled us rotten during the year, buying us things when we went shopping, giving us Halloween candy (a huge thing for me since I didn’t get to go trick or treating), buying us books and toys, etc. They were truly the grandparents that we never had, very much involved in our lives.
Henry had a lot of health problems for many years. I remember when we went to visit him in the hospital after he had heart surgery when I was about 8 or 9. I drew him a picture of flowers in a vase (not as good as the real thing, but hey, I was young). I remember feeling so sad that he had to be in the hospital and going through so much pain.
Years went by and for some reason (I still don’t really know the reason) we stopped seeing them. We no longer went on Saturday shopping trips or saw each other at Christmas. They didn’t come to my graduation or my wedding. We received no phone calls or letters.
I sent them Christmas cards each year hoping to hear something back. No cards or letters. It is hard to even think about. Lost time with loved ones, lost memories…And over what? I don’t even know.
I remember the last time I saw him. I went to an eye appointment near their home in 2002 and afterwards decided to go by their house. When I knocked on the door Frances answered. She told me that they were just about to go to town to get groceries but (hesitantly) said that I could come in. When I walked in I noticed that things had changed from when I was there as a child. The furniture looked worn. The carpet no longer looked new. Henry and Frances looked older and tired. Things were different.
I remember it being really uncomfortable as I told them about my life. I told them about how I was in college and hoped to graduate in a few years. About how I was soon to be engaged to a wonderful man. About my job. About how I was active in Bible study and church. About mom, dad, Amanda, and Vicki. Things they truly should have known already...
They both seemed so sad that day. I asked if I could pray for them and they looked at me with startled expressions. I prayed for Henry’s health and for strength for the both of them. I prayed in gratitude for all of the years that they had loved us and been there for us.
Though Frances was hesitant to let me in the house initially, she kept telling me “You don’t have to go, you don’t have to go.” I left their house not knowing that would be the last time I would see Henry.
I am not sure if Henry was a Christian or not. I hope that he was and that I will see him again in heaven one day. I hope that he knew how much we all loved him and what he meant to us, that he was the grandpa we never had. I will try my hardest to never forget my memories of Henry.
BVOTD: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." Matthew 5:4 NIV
Labels: Henry


6 Comments:
hey, i'm sorry about your uncle. i'm praying for you & your family.
Lacey ~ What a Wonderful tribute to Uncle Henry. You expressed your love in such loving memories of him. We will forever love him and keep him in our hearts. He was my favorite Uncle and always treated me with loving kindess. They used to pick me up when I was younger and take me out to eat and shop in Austin in the red station wagon. Working for them was a lot of fun growing up. I remember the day they drove up to the house and wanted to give me a 56 Chevy in GREAT condition. My parents wouldn't let me keep it and unfortunately I eventually bought myself a 57 Chevy which I later replaced with a 69 Rambler. They always thought of me.
Great post, Lace... Very sweet. I think he would have liked it a lot...
hey! sorry to hear about your uncle :-( I had an uncle who was like a grandpa as well- not because I didn't have a grandpa but because he never married, so he didn't have kids and grandkids of his own. He treated us like grandkids, and who wouldn't take another grandpa?!
It's hard to lose someone close like this, but the memories will make you smile for years to come.
Oh, sweetie. I am so sorry that your family is challenged with this right now. It is always so difficult to lose a loved one, even more so if it seems like things were left unsaid. Your words are filled with love and he hears them, I'm sure of it. Take care of yourself, be extra gentle with your family and know that YOU ARE LOVED!
I'm sorry about your uncle. I'm glad that you can look back on your childhood memories and remember the good times you had with him though. I'm praying for you and your family. Love you!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home